Thursday 29 January 2009

What a farce

Well, we left work early so that I could get a look at the wheels. I got away from the house late, and in a hurry, got to the barn and realised I had left the jack behind. I had also forgotten the car keys and the socket set to loosen the wheel nuts.

Anyway, after 3 return trips to the house I got everything with me and set about the rear wheel first. I had to use two bottle jacks to lift the car - one to lift it onto the 2nd which had the reach to lift the wheels off the ground but was too tall to get under the car.

This is what I was dealing with:



After hitting the brake drum for long enough (until my ears were ringing) I put the wheel back on and we got a little movement, twisting clockwise and then anti-clockwise eventually got it spinning freely again. The front wheels were a case of putting a pair of grips from the brake shoes to the callipers and easing the pads off the disc.

Next moves - clear the barn of hay and straw so the car can be towed out.

Thats for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment