Sunday 25 January 2009

Day one (ish)

Yesterday I spent the whole day clearing out the garage. It had been the default place to dump anything that didnt have a proper home for pretty much the last 18 months. It took all day and I had to be brutal about throwing stuff out. Why? Because today it was going to have a car put in it. As it happens it didnt but that gives me the chance to give you some of the back story and the reason for this blog.

I bought the car back in (ages ago, I cant remember when but probably 2003 or 2004). Its a Volkswagen Golf GTi Cabriolet - anyone from the US will know it as a VW Rabbit. We ran it for a year but it was getting vandalised and we decided to take it of the road. Luckily some friends of ours had a barn we could use to store it. well the time came to use the barn for barn like activities and we had to get the car moved. This coincided with us move house too so the car took up residence in another barn, just behind our horses stables. The car was not drivable at this point due to the battery going flat and the immobiliser , um , ... immobilising it. The brakes on one wheel had become seized too but that was sorted with a few swift swipes of a mallet.

this morning I went to the barn with the aim of towing it out with the pickup and then towing it into my newly empty (ish) garage. I got nowhere. 3 brakes are now seized so I am a bit stuck. I am going to look for advice from some local mechanics, the Haynes manual people and the Golf owners club. The barn isnt really big enough to renew the brakes where it is and I dont have all the tools to hand either.

I will try to post photos and keep things up to date here as I work on renovating the car and getting it back to the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment